If your home needs to be rewired, it is important to ensure you go about it in the right way. While many competent people could undertake basic electrical tasks on their own, without the need to notify Building Control, this does not extend to rewiring a house. This is arguably one of the most complex tasks an electrician will need to carry out, depending on the individual property and exactly what is required.

This job is extensive and very involved, and requires the person carrying it out to be knowledgeable on all aspects of safety. It also requires them to understand and know the latest rules and regulations regarding electrical work. When a property is completely rewired the work must adhere to the standards laid down in the latest set of IEE wiring regulations. This applies to all work, from replacing an old light with a new one, to focusing on a complete rewire, as we are here.

Do I need to worry about the extent of these regulations?

If you are having your home rewired the only thing you need to worry about is finding an electrician who is a registered member of a Competent Person Scheme. These schemes have been set up to provide the general public with an easy way of finding a reputable and knowledgeable person who can carry out any electrical work, including a complete rewire.

When you go down this route, the installer you choose will be familiar with the IEE wiring regulations, safety rules regarding electrical installations and the building regulations where they apply to electrical safety in dwellings. They will also be able to handle any issues regarding the need to contact Building Control. They will do this on your behalf, meaning you don’t have to worry about finding out what to do.

What about Part P?

building-regulations-2010Basically speaking, providing you hire a qualified and competent person who is a member of such a scheme, the hard work will be done by them and not you. They must adhere to Part P in the Building Regulations 2010 Electrical Safety – Dwellings P document. Section 2 of this document concerns the application of Part P. It notes that all work in a dwelling must be subjected to this particular requirement. It sets out the scope of Part P and indicates what kind of work must be notified and what doesn’t.

All this information can be very complex and hard to understand if you have no experience of electrical work. This is why a full house rewire should not be done by anyone who does not have the appropriate training and qualifications. When you are looking for an electrician to carry out the work for you, make sure they can prove their status as a member of a Competent Person Scheme. This will ensure they have all the latest information and knowledge about every aspect of wiring a home and how it should be done in accordance with the latest information.