Most people have heard of cavity wall insulation, but how do you insulate your walls if they are not built in this way?

If you own an older property (typically built prior to 1920) you are far more likely to have solid walls rather than cavity walls. These can still be insulated and this can be done either internally or externally depending on the individual property and situation. While external wall insulation is a more costly process than cavity wall insulation, it can provide bigger energy savings on your bills. This is because solid walls are known to let more heat escape than their more modern cavity counterparts. The potential annual saving for a detached house could be as much as £460.

Fortunately you may be able to take advantage of a grant to cover the cost of this work – and there would be no requirement to pay any of it back.

What is an external wall insulation grant?

This is a grant that is offered to people who qualify to claim it. You would need to qualify for it in the first place and then have a survey done to confirm your property is suitable for the work to be done. Homeowners can apply for the grant, as can private tenants. However in the latter situation the landlord must approve of the application being made.

Unlike some other grants available for home insulation, external wall insulation grants are available to all homeowners that have properties with solid walls. It just depends on what size of grant you qualify for, and whether your property is in a good condition and situation for the work to be done.

Do you qualify for a grant?

There are 100% grants and 50% grants available to cover properties that have solid external walls. The degree of grant depends on your main source of heating. Properties using electricity or some kind of solid fuel will qualify for the 100% grant. The other qualifying criteria in this case will be that there is no gas supply. In contrast, the 50% grant will be offered to those using gas, LPG or alternatively oil to heat their properties.

Of course your property must be suitable for the work to be done as well. If your walls are in poor condition you will need to rectify this prior to the insulation being installed. Aspects such as these will be covered during the survey that must take place prior to any work being done. This will determine whether your property is suitable for this type of insulation.

If you think you might qualify for an external wall insulation grant, make sure you get a quote today. This will give you an idea of whether you would have to pay anything towards the cost of the work. Whether you get a 50% or a 100% grant, your energy bills will thank you for the extra insulation your home will have in place. It does make a big difference.