Double Storey House Extension Plans

Discussion in 'Your Projects' started by sc2009, Jun 9, 2015.

1. sc2009

sc2009 New Member

Hi Everyone,

I have now had my plans drawn up and submitted for my double storey extension. I should know whether I have planning permission in around 8 weeks (fingers crossed). I thought that I would share my plans and what I am trying to achieve with other users of the Forum.

I have a three bedroom end of terrace house and my main aim is to add another bedroom. I have 2 daughters and my youngest currently has the small box room. The extension will give her a bigger room and her old room will become my office :)

Downstairs we have decided to add a second bathroom and have an open plan living area which will back onto our garden.

Now that I have the plans, I'm working with my father in-law (a retired builder) to price it all up.

I aim to record my progress and share with others. Any questions, just ask - Im learning as I go!

This is the back of my house:

[​IMG]

This is the plan for the ground floor:

[​IMG]

This is the plan for the first floor:

[​IMG]

This is what the back of the house will look like:

[​IMG]

This is what the side of the house will look like:

[​IMG]

2. sc2009

sc2009 New Member

I received a letter from the planning department today, Re: the application:

"Thank you for submitting a planning application for the above development, however I am unable to
    register the application for the following reasons:-

1.) We may require a bat survey, but we are unable to confirm this at the present time, our Natural Heritage Officer has requested photographs to establish the existing condition of the roof and inner roof space to assess the possibility that bats may be present."

I have spoken to my architect and I will have to send photos of the roof an inner roof space. My soffits and fascias are in good condition and the loft is fully insulated so hopefully there will be no problems o_O

I haven't seen any Bats flying around!

3. sc2009

sc2009 New Member

We now have planning approved! :)

There didn't seem to be any problems with bats in the end. I'm very happy with the architect as there were no issues with the application and it's all fully approved.

The next step is digging the foundations and confirming quotes with various contractors...

I aim to keep this post open to track my progress.

4. sc2009

sc2009 New Member

The builder started digging the foundations this week and has already filled one 8 yard skip!

All systems go now. I was planning to dig the foundations myself, however the builder has quoted 9 days work to dig the foundations, drainage trench and soak away. Cost for this is £1,440.

Here are some photos after 2 days work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. sc2009

sc2009 New Member

Lots of progress since my last update. The builder has made some really good progress and the brick work is now nearly complete. The roofers were meant to be starting on Monday and were booked in to start this time back in August. They have let us down and can't start for another 4 weeks... Luckily my father in law has stepped in out of retirement and will be tackling the roofing with the builder.

Below are some images of the progress. Im hoping it will all be complete for Christmas...

[​IMG]

First floor brick and block work complete

[​IMG]

Second floor brick work going up, built on RSJ and existing wall starting to be taken out

[​IMG]

Builder looking proud of his brick work

[​IMG]

Exterior shot showing progress of brickwork

[​IMG]

Floor joists going in

[​IMG]

Exterior shot showing further progress of brickwork and extension

[​IMG]

Builder hard at work!