Confused over planning query - help please!

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by Andrews10, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Andrews10

Andrews10 New Member

Hi, I'd be grateful of any help out there!

We are planning a 2 storey rear and side extension. We are basically adding a box on the back of our house which measures roughly 8 x 4.5m. It is a large extension, however we feel it is the norm these days. The extension will provide a 4th bedroom, a larger master bedroom with ensuit and a larger kitchen/family area.

We went down the route of doing pre-planning, and all came back ok. Now we have gone to planning, they are asking us to come in 1m on the side extension (which sticks out 2m past the original house wall, but is 1m from the boundary) and change the roof as they think it is overbearing. Nothing has changed other than a neighbours objection. The planning officer will not confirm if we will be refused planning if we don't make this change.

Our problem is that the layout upstairs will not work if we have to come in a metre and it would mean that we couldn't do a 2 storey extension. Other houses in our area have done similar extensions, but didn't have objections from neighbours. We feel that if no objections were made, planning would have been granted. The planning officer said at his site visit that it should be ok. We feel the council are asking us to make changes based on someone's objections and not so much planning rules.

I guess what's overbearing to some isn't to others. Are we being unreasonable wanting to do such a large extension 1m from the boundary? We're unsure of how to proceed. If the planning officer has suggested we come in 1m, which would mean building 2m from the boundary, will planning be refused if we don't make this change? BTW, we have already agreed to come in 15cm from to other side to appease the other neighbours!

Would be really grateful for your thoughts, as we don't know how to play this one! Thanks!

2. sc2009

sc2009 New Member

Hi Andrew,

Sounds a challenging decision! I'm not sure what to advise, your architect is probably the best person to advise on the way forward as they will probably have experience of similar situations.

You could try asking another architect for their opinion.

Let us know how you get on and how your planning changes.

Good luck,

Ben.

3. MysticalGandy

MysticalGandy New Member

Planning and building regs were a right nightmare 15 years ago when I worked for a builder, doesnt sound like they are much better now

Ruby Mia likes this.
  4. chelsea

chelsea New Member

Discuss with your architect as they will be able to talk you through your options and should be able to assist in your planning permission.

5. Andrews10

Andrews10 New Member

Thanks for your responses. Our architect felt that if planning was declined, we'd be likely to win at appeal.

We have however managed to negotiate with planning by changing the roof and by coming in 1.5m from the boundary, instead of the suggested 2m. This just about works for us!

6. andy

andy New Member

At least you've sorted a solution Andrew :)

7. mike

mike New Member

View attachment 1 View attachment 2 View attachment 4 View attachment 5 View attachment 7 View attachment 8 View attachment 9 View attachment 10
    You have rights to access the public access database for planning applications on your council website it will give all the information on past applications reasons for refusal and approval. They need a valid reason to refuse. I have submitted many in the past and on resubmission obtained permission you won’t believe some of the some of them ‘I can’t see my brother going to the pub on Sunday morning if this house is built’. If like you say similar extensions have been built the council may have set precedent at least you will know why and then address it. Remember they don’t are can’t build them like they used to. I have been building all my working life new build and refurbishing from stone cottages to period properties Victorian terraced, which I favoured unfortunately due to mobility problems can physically continue. Now as an architectural technician quantity surveyor and building cost analyst I carry on building albeit on a screen. Attached are some recent projects completed for a self builder and contractor you may find helpful

Attached Files:

8. mike

mike New Member

I have submitted many plans and had to comply with planning requirements but didn't have neighbour trouble I will attach the drawing used that comp[lied to planning

Attached Files:

9. mike

mike New Member

copy approved plans

Attached Files:

10. Ruby Mia

Ruby Mia New Member