Are Bi Fold Doors Worth It?

Discussion in 'Conservatories, Windows and Doors' started by sc2009, Jun 12, 2015.

1. sc2009

sc2009 New Member

Im thinking of adding some bi folding doors to my new extension.

I have heard that they can be quite expensive but they look really cool. Im trying to work out whether they are worth it or whether I should just go for some french patio doors.

We spend a lot of time in our garden and bi fold doors would open up our new living area into the garden.

Im guessing UPVC bifold doors are cheaper but they don't look as nice as aluminium bifold doors.

Can any one advise on any reputable companies?

Any help/advice would be great!

Thanks,

Ben.

2. Hi Ben, it's great to hear that you're considering bifolds for your new extension. Maybe we can help?

Bi-folding doors can be pricey, but the majority of the cost is in the frame rather than the glass. So if you select bifolds with fewers panels and more glazing, you'll find them to be cheaper. The total cost also depends on your specifications, such as size and finish. uPVC is the cheapest material but we strongly recommend against it - it's not as strong and has a lot of limitations in comparison to aluminium or composite doors.

Take a look at our infographic which explains a bit more, and please let me know if you'd like to have more of a chat - I can put you in touch with one of our experts who will be able to help.

[​IMG]

3. Nick Dardalis

Nick Dardalis New Member

Hi Ben, please visit www.aluminiumtradesupply.co.uk which is an independent and impartial information resource with many pages all about bifolding doors and in particular whether they are good for you and your home and what other options are open to you. Please also feel free to contact the website where I will reply to you with answers to any specific questions you may have. Aluminium is by far the superior product although more expensive but did you know you can also have different sorts of bifolds including those that are virtually all glass? We can help you further with free no obligation advice and put you in touch when you're ready with an experienced and reputable installer local to you. Happy to help.
    Nick

4. MysticalGandy

MysticalGandy New Member

I just like the way they open right out as if you are taking an entire wall away... sort of blending the garden into the house. Suppose that's fine if your garden is well kept :)

5. andy

andy New Member

I know they're good looking but i'm still a fan of the traditional french patio doors. I always felt french doors were more secure too but that's certainly an interesting infographic and you make an interesting point about security.

6. andy006

andy006 New Member

That's a great infographic :)

7. Carol C Palmer

Carol C Palmer New Member

hi,

Bifold doors allow maximum aeration and eliminates humidity.They are available in variety of designs, width and height. Usually they are slim for the ease of opening. The attraction about bifolds is the unobstructive view it provides. While french patio doors are said to be energy efficient,secure and durable. I am not so sure about the pros and cons of uPVC though it is preferred over other designs these days . Check for all the designs available. I know a window and door installation service, Canglow windows and doors edmonton , try your luck. Why don’t you take expert guidance from professional services to ascertain the best windows for your home. I would caution you to go ahead with one which is durable and cost effective. Energy efficient windows are a basic requirement for our homes. I am a great fan of picture windows, a stylish way to add natural light and are energy efficient. Having said that, the choice is yours. best of luck in choosing the right one . :)

8. jacklong2381

jacklong2381 New Member

On my new place I’ve gone to town. The glazing contractor is installing huge bi-folding glass doors to my dining area so the space opens out directly onto my garden, a glass roof over my kitchen, glass balustrades up the staircase, a clear glass panel within part of the first floor to get natural light down to the darkest part of the ground floor, glass doors to bathrooms, a 6-metre long frosted glass walkway to access the loft bedroom and we have installed huge Velux skylights in roof.

9. rollie

rollie New Member

Bi Fold Doors have a lot of benefits. They let in ample natural light into the house and they provide better security.They are flexible and require less maintenance.

10. Carl Jenkinson

Carl Jenkinson New Member

You can try with Colin's Sash Windows. He has all types of bi-fold doors and sells them cheap.
    Cheers.

11. mummyel

mummyel New Member

Can't beat Bi folds, you get that freedom of inside outside that you just don't get with anything else. https://www.justvaluedoors.co.uk/ have a good selection of both uvc and aluminium at really reasonable prices.