Adding a 4th Bedroom above my garage.

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by Typouk1, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Typouk1

Typouk1 New Member

Hi, I live in a 3 bed semi, on the side of my house is an extension (single story garage). About 6 years ago I looked into adding a 4th bedroom on top of this extension. I got a builder to take a look and he said that I wouldn't be granted planning permission because in order to qualify for a 4th bedroom extension I needed to be able to fit 2 cars on my drive. I think he said the road needs to be 5 meters away from the front of my house in order to accommodate 2 cars and therefore qualify for a 4th bedroom. So I put things on hold.

Since then the regulations have changed. My question is; has that rule changed? Would I now be granted planning permission to extend above my garage and add a 4th bedroom?

Thanks, I hope someone can help.

2. Shon Mead

Shon Mead New Member

Where exactly are you from?

Planning permission can be quite complicated because it often has to be decided in line with the relevant local planning authority’s (LPA) development plan and the local authority will base its decision on ‘material considerations’. I suggest you contact a residential design firm for further advice and consultation. I recommend Home Planning SW if you live in the Southwest area. Hope it helps! ;)

3. michaelscad

michaelscad New Member

doesn't concern building rgulations it's a planning issue contact them
    i desiugned a row of terraced houses not many
    terraced houses have off road parking but they got permission and built

4. michaelscad

michaelscad New Member

5. michaelscad

michaelscad New Member

6. Ruby Mia

Ruby Mia New Member

Yes i am agree your feedback.This is real imagen.