Architect and Planning Permission Costs

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by sc2009, Mar 11, 2015.

1. sc2009

sc2009 New Member

I was wondering what costs I should expect to pay for an architect and planning permission for a house extension. Im planning a 2 storey extension on the back of my house. It's an end of terrace house on a corner plot so there is enough room and only 1 neighbour to potentially upset!

I have had a quote from a local architect who said that planning permission should take around 8 weeks.

He has quoted £750 to produce working drawings and £172 for completing the planning permission application.

The total cost is £922 and he was confident that we would get planning permission.

He has been recommended to me by my father in-law who is a retired builder.

My only concern is that its a fair amount of money to pay if planning permission gets rejected...

The architect also mentioned £120 for building regs, a plan check and a possible further cost for an engineer.

He also mentioned that when the building work starts there will be a further cost of £245 for a building regs inspection.

Does this all sound about right?

Ben

2. Eddy Myers

Eddy Myers Moderator

Ben,

that does all sound about right. I am an architectural technician and although i wouldn't charge £750 for the drawings, all the other bits and pieces mentioned are about right. The fee he is charging may be related to where in the country you are and the size of his organisation.

Eddy
    Polstar Building Design

3. sc2009

sc2009 New Member

Hi Eddy,

Thanks for your reply! The architect has come as a recommendation from my father in-law who is a retired builder and has used this specific architect for nearly 20 years. Maybe I could get it done cheaper, however i think it's good to go off recommendations.

What would you say the average cost for an Architect and planning permission in the UK is?

It's always good to get a second opinion on things :)

4. Eddy Myers

Eddy Myers Moderator

Well, ben. I am in the north east (newcastle/gateshead) and for a straight forward 2-storey extension i charge about £450/500 for the drawings plus the £172 planning fee and up here the building regs fees are about £150+£500/600

5. sc2009

sc2009 New Member

Thanks for your feedback Eddy, thats interesting to know. I would imagine that an architect would cost a lot more in London and the south?

I will most probably go with this architect and will keep you updated with my progress etc.

I have a few different ideas but it all comes down to cost...